White Pocket - Zion Overnight Workshop - JULY 29 - AUG 3 2018, 2 INSTRUCTORS - Investment $2495 - 8 total participants - 6 spaces remain
- Learn many new photographic and post-processing techniques from pros Aaron Reed and David Swindler - both highly experienced landscape photographers and workshop leaders.
- Group size capped at 8 to ensure adequate individual attention with 2 instructors.
- Fully outfitted overnight camping trip to White Pocket during the height of monsoon season. We should have some dramatic skies and storms to chase! This is also one of the best times to find water puddles at White Pocket and we'll include Milky Way photography if skies are clear.
- Photograph Zion and Grand Canyon National Parks during the monsoon season. We are including a day in the Narrows! These days will be kept flexible so we can chase the best weather.
- Post-processing sessions and image critique will be given throughout the workshop.
- Trip concludes at one of the best restaurants in Kanab to celebrate this novel experience and the new friends we've made.
- Day 1 (July 29): Meet at 7PM at the Best Western in Kanab for a mandatory introductory session. We'll go over logistics and make plans for our upcoming days together. We'll also go over information on night photography.
- Day 2 (July 30): Full day in the Zion Narrows. We'll start first thing in the morning to make sure we get ahead of the crowds.
- Day 3 (July 31): Another full day of shooting in Zion. We'll decide on our sunrise/sunset locations as a group depending on what the weather conditions look like. We will likely have an afternoon post-processing session on this day.
- Day 4 (Aug 1): Full day at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Our dates coincide with typical monsoon storm activity, so hopefully we'll have some dramatic clouds and weather. We'll stay out after sunset to try and catch some lightning. Note that the Zion & Grand Canyon days are flexible and might change depending on the weather forecast.
- Day 5 (Aug 2): Head out to White Pocket. Setup camp and photograph into the evening/night hours. We will supply camp gear like tents, sleeping bags, pads, pillows, chairs, and food. While at White Pocket, we'll split the group up since many of the compositions will not allow for a large group. At night, we'll photograph the Milky Way if skies are sufficiently clear. We'll teach you both natural light and low-level lighting techniques
- Day 6 (Aug 3): Sunrise/Morning at White Pocket. Return to Kanab for lunch. We'll have an afternoon post-processing session and then reconvene for our final group dinner before saying our goodbyes.
- Workshop Extension: If anyone is interested in extending the workshop by 1 or 2 days, please let us know and we can put together some great ideas for you!
We’ll spend most of our time in the field taking photos but are including at least four hours of image critique and editing sessions throughout the workshop.
Please arrive in Kanab, UT prior to 7PM on Sunday, July 29 for the orientation session at the Best Western Hotel. We didn’t include hotel stays on this trip to allow you the flexibility of a lodging option of your choice. If you book with the Best Western, you will get a 10% discount by mentioning our workshop. You will need lodging for the nights of July 29-Aug 2. There is no need to book lodging for Aug 2-3 since we'll be at White Pocket. We will finish the workshop around 9PM on Aug 3rd. It's up to you if you want to stay in Kanab that night or head somewhere else.
All participants on this trip should be in reasonably good physical condition. Although we aren't planning any long hikes on this trip, the uneven terrain, sand, and heat can make short hikes seem much harder. You should be comfortable walking around 2-4 miles per day. The day we spend in the Zion Narrows will also be pretty strenuous since we'll be walking upstream against the current.
We timed this workshop for the best chance of monsoon storms and dramatic clouds. However, we can't control the weather but we'll make the best at what Mother Nature throws at us.
The weather can vary quite a bit in July/August. We could have sunny , hot weather. But if storms come in, it could be very wet with milder temperatures. See the gear list further down for specific recommendations. No matter what the weather does, we’ll get awesome photos. If it’s exceptionally wet, some of the dirt roads may be impassable. We'll modify the itinerary accordingly should that be the case. Transportation will be provided in 4WD trucks so we can handle most conditions. The only time we haven't been able to get to White Pocket was in the winter when there was over a foot of snow on the road.
- 6-Day Intensive Photo Workshop
- All ground transportation and photography guiding during the trip.
- Post-processing and image critique
- Camping Gear and Food while out at White Pocket.
- Group dinner on our final day in Kanab. Please note alcoholic beverages are not included.
Trip Does NOT Include:
- Transportation to/from your home to Kanab, UT.
- Hotel Accommodations.
- Alcoholic Beverages.
- Meals and snacks with exception of the final group dinner and the White Pocket Overnight portion.
Aaron Reed Photography, LLC is a licensed, fully insured business and a responsible member of the photographic community. I operate all of my workshops under the guidelines, rules and regulations of the National Park Service, State Parks & Forest Services. I am certified in Adult & Child CPR/AED & First Aid, Wilderness First Responder Trained and Follow Leave No Trace Principals. I have operated on location photography workshops since 2009.
The investment fee for this workshop is $2495, with 25% due to reserve your spot and the remaining 75% due on or before May 1st, 2018
PLEASE NOTE: Clicking the button below to register will take you to a checkout page created by my co-instructor on this workshop, David Swindler of Action Photo Tours. One of the requirements of Commercial Use Permit provided to us by the BLM for the White Pocket area is that all payments be accepted through the named permit holder. Because our permit is named under Action Photo Tours, David is required to take all payments. Please feel free to email or call me if this is confusing or you would like further clarification from me.